Re: [LUG] TV Licensing [Ad blockers]

On 27 September 2016 at 17:38, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
This seems quite timely considering the recent discussion...

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/09/bbc-iplayer-bbc-id-postcode-registration/

Seems a proportionate response to preventing non-licence payers from accessing, even if the article claims that's not what it's for. My freesat box requires my postcode to set up regional channels and listings correctly and I don't begrudge the BBC having it also. Not sure how they're going to use just that without a house name/number given a postcode can cover multiple properties, but perhaps that's stage 2?

One thing that I have noticed about these iplayer changes is how they're breaking my personal internet o' things. My humax has an app for Iplayer, that's been showing a warning saying it'll stop in September. Another app I have on the tv itself stopped working some time ago. The drive to patch these service-providing apps is not always there - not for basic functionality, and certainly not for security. which has always taken a back seat. I predict a busy time for IT people cleaning up after attacks and a lot of personal information stolen out of people's homes.