Re: [LUG] Safety Check

On 16/11/15 11:05, Simon Avery wrote:
> On 16 November 2015 at 10:12, jah <jah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> As autonomous beings we should be able to choose what information,
> about ourselves and our family, we share with others.
>

> In theory, yes.
>
> In practice, no - unless you live in a cave, entirely off the grid
> and don't do any business. That governments require information
> about their citizens is not anything new. What is new is the scale
> and ease the modern age provides them. You can of course limit that
> through choice, but you cannot eliminate it. And even doing so may
> mark you as a person of interest that requires other measures to
> monitor.
>
> Tinhat views are interesting, and it's a rabbit hole you can go as
> deep as you choose. Most people want convenience and are prepared
> to sacrifice information and security to achieve it. The internet
> has many many alluring ways to persuade you to share that
> information, far more than at any time.
>
> What is outright dangerous is the seeming requirement to reduce
> personal security for everyone to monitor the few. This is great
> news for criminals with such amazing data stores potentially
> available at every ISP.
>
> One wonders if the snooper's charter will require https/ssl
> security to allow gchq to access these files, or submit them, or
> whatever?

Of course if this policy of backdoors / limiting encryption makes it
easier for criminals to steal money / data from you, they could then
use that data to help / fund terrorism,  so the governments very
strategy for monitoring terror ends up funding it in other way so it
ends up counter productive.

Paul

- --
http://www.zleap.net