Re: [LUG] Safety Check

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:01:59 +0000, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Does occur to me there is inconsistency in people who want to ensure
>privacy, using extreme measures on their computer, and then use a
>landline that sends their phone messages unencrypted across copper
>wires strung along the side of the building and across the
>countryside, and a telephone provider who records what number they
>call, when and for how long...

Personally, I think trying to secure yourself from the likes of GCHQ is
a pointless (and probably impossible) exercise. It is pretty obvious
they are storing all our phone and internet activity and to be honest
so what? My disagreement with that is I don't think it works as a
method of stopping terrorism and is a waste of money rather than the
infringement of civil liberties aspect.

Same thing with Cameron's stupid fight against encryption. He doesn't
seem to realise that internet commerce depends 100% on encryption and
if the government has a back-door then so does every other government
and criminal group out there.

My own approach is largely aimed at protection from criminal activity.
If I can block scam calls, filter out spam/malware then all the better.
I also think limiting the data you give to companies (or they just
collect without your knowledge) is a good idea as that data will
inevitably become public at some stage and therefore available to
criminals.

There was a story in the Herald Express last week about someone sitting
outside the home of the Krankies :) in Torquay, hacking their (I
assume insecure) Wi-Fi, getting their bank details and stealing some
cash. This wouldn't stop me using Wi-Fi but it does make me more interested
in keeping it as secure as I can.

Kevin