Re: [LUG] Safety Check

On 16 November 2015 at 10:12, jah <jah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As autonomous beings we should be able to choose what information, about ourselves and our family, we share with others.Â

In theory, yes.Â

In practice, no - unless you live in a cave, entirely off the grid and don't do any business. That governments require information about their citizens is not anything new. What is new is the scale and ease the modern age provides them. You can of course limit that through choice, but you cannot eliminate it. And even doing so may mark you as a person of interest that requires other measures to monitor.Â

Tinhat views are interesting, and it's a rabbit hole you can go as deep as you choose. Most people want convenience and are prepared to sacrifice information and security to achieve it. The internet has many many alluring ways to persuade you to share that information, far more than at any time.

What is outright dangerous is the seeming requirement to reduce personal security for everyone to monitor the few. This is great news for criminals with such amazing data stores potentially available at every ISP.Â

One wonders if the snooper's charter will require https/ssl security to allow gchq to access these files, or submit them, or whatever?