Re: [LUG] Yahoo, was: Web based emails

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:04:04 +0000
Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

>It did affect their own customers, who were often banned from posting to
>mailing lists. But people who post to mailing lists are a small minority

That was as a backlash (for want of a better word) rather than a direct
result.  However, point taken.

>in the bigger scheme of things.

More than likely.  Although, personally, it amounts to over 99% of all
email I receive.

>> I said email, and that's what I meant.  Webmail <> email, at least,
>> not in this context.
>You keep saying that, but I really fail to see why you make that
>distinction.

In this instance, it's because with webmail, the hosting site has
knowledge of *every* keystroke and mouse click you make during the
writing and reading of messages.  Whether they take action based on
those details is secondary.  The only details they have about mails I
read/write here, using a locally hosted MUA, are those that pass through
their systems.

>> Ah, understood.  A good idea.  One which almost all governments will
>> detest.
>They might, but they won't be able to stop it, if only because their
>arguments for backdoors in network encryptions are a lot weaker, as you

It won't stop them trying.  Their wisdom (paranoia, I suppose in
reality) shows that they really have no idea about how the internet
works.

>Of course. Replacing something that works so well won't be easy. I've
>become a big fan of DIME, which I wrote about earlier this year
>https://www.virusbtn.com/blog/2015/03_12a.xml

I'll try and find time to read it.

--
 Regards  _
Only the wounded remain, the generals have all left the game