Re: [LUG] Yahoo, was: Web based emails

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 18:07:47 +0000
Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

{DMARC policy}
>I've long agreed with you and even argued this way in IETF groups. I've
>come to change my mind and see that the DMARC setting helped them fight
>abuse taking place at that very moment, at a relatively minor cost (very
>few people use mailing lists).

Insofar as it doesn't affect them, or their customers, yes.  Potentially,
it affects everybody else.  I disagree that that constitutes 'relatively
minor cost'.

>> In the end though, I think big business is trying to kill of email -
>> simply because it's extremely hard to monetise.
>I don't think Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and many other local webmail
>providers would agree with that. Email is relatively cheap to run

I said email, and that's what I meant.  Webmail <> email, at least, not
in this context.

>> I trust you mean by that that all email should be encrypted, rather
>> than the more common usage of 'plain text vs HTML'.
>I actually meant unencrypted data in general, whether it's SMTP, HTTP or
>something else.

Ah, understood.  A good idea.  One which almost all governments will
detest.

>Yes, email has some fundamental issues when it comes to security in
>general and encryption in particular. I hope we can slowly replace it
>with something better.

Only time will tell, obviously.  In any case, such a change would have
to be available to all, as email currently is.  Proprietary offerings
that exclude/ignore various hardware platforms should be non-starters.

--
 Regards  _
You couldn't find your feet, if you were looking for them