Re: [LUG] Yahoo, was: Web based emails

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 08:13:46PM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> >I've long agreed with you and even argued this way in IETF groups. I've
> >come to change my mind and see that the DMARC setting helped them fight
> >abuse taking place at that very moment, at a relatively minor cost (very
> >few people use mailing lists).
>
> Insofar as it doesn't affect them, or their customers, yes.  Potentially,
> it affects everybody else.  I disagree that that constitutes 'relatively
> minor cost'.

It did affect their own customers, who were often banned from posting to
mailing lists. But people who post to mailing lists are a small minority
in the bigger scheme of things.

The fact that From: isn't protected - something which DMARC with
p=reject attempts to solve - also hurts mailing lists as they often
determine whether someone is a subscriber based on their From: address.

Why this matters is currently seen on the NANOG list - a popular list
for sysadmins. The list is being flooded by spam emails with the same
From: address - a subscriber who had his contacts list stolen - from
different IP addresses. Apart from blocking the user, there's nothing
the list can do.

That's another reason why I think mailing list software isn't ready for
today's Internet - and they're the ones who should change.

> I said email, and that's what I meant.  Webmail <> email, at least, not
> in this context.

You keep saying that, but I really fail to see why you make that
distinction.

> Ah, understood.  A good idea.  One which almost all governments will
> detest.

They might, but they won't be able to stop it, if only because their
arguments for backdoors in network encryptions are a lot weaker, as you
can only really decrypt everyone's traffic and than find what your
target has been sending. With disk-encryption, they could at least
promise they would only decrypt devices of specific targets.

> Only time will tell, obviously.  In any case, such a change would have
> to be available to all, as email currently is.  Proprietary offerings
> that exclude/ignore various hardware platforms should be non-starters.

Of course. Replacing something that works so well won't be easy. I've
become a big fan of DIME, which I wrote about earlier this year
https://www.virusbtn.com/blog/2015/03_12a.xml

Martijn.