Re: [LUG] Identifying encrypted files.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:21:04PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Ross Anderson's textbook Security Engineering is on the Newton College
> webserver somewhere under rja14 IIRC and is also worth reading and I think
> rather well-written.  The second edition is in print, I have a paper copy of
> the first and may yet upgrade.

It's a great book. The second edition is also available on Ross's
website http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html

> The first manoeuvre cryptologists apply to a message, I think, is to look for
> deviations from random.  Arranging for there to be some which severely mislead
> them may be a game played by people who know more about it than I.

In practise, attacks on the crypto itself are pretty rare. Crypto is
rarely the weakest link in the chain, even if the algorithms themselves
are weak. Arranging for their to be some non-randomness in the encrypted
files to merely deceive the adversary sounds like something that only
happens in spy novels. It's generally considered a good idea to assume
the adversary knows the encryption algorithm (but not the key).

Martijn.