Re: [LUG] Youtube History > Google Set Up

On 20 October 2015 at 11:44, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
TXT messages get through to UK geographic numbers just fine. (Providing you use a quality telephone company and I include BT retail here)

Well, ish. You're of course completely correct in what you say, but I recently had a problem caused by this.

The BT landline rang. I answered it. At the same time the dogs started barking at the postman.Â

I could only hear the last two words of the sms message that had been sent to it, and there was no option to replay - BT just hung up after speaking (in fairly poor text-to-voice) it once.Â

No reference to the caller and no message received. Yet the sender considered the message successfully delivered.

I admit no system is foolproof. But this is not as reliable as a true SMS, yet the sender might consider it sufficient proof that I had heard and understood their message.