Re: [LUG] Youtube History

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:22:31 +0100
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I do get annoyed  at the way that so many sites expect you to
> > provide, to me, quite unnecessary personal information. If you try
> > to set up an account for ITV player, for example, it is free to
> > use, but they want a full address, including Post Code, a phone
> > number, date of birth and I can't remember what else. Why, for
> > heaven's sake? It's a free service. I suspect they want to send
> > advertising material. Plus, if you do get to watch you have to
> > include the ads, no by-passing them.
> >
> > So I didn't bother in the end. I hate ads.
> >
> > Neil
> Channel 4's 4OD is the same.  Intrusive.  There is no earthly reason
> for them to require your postal address for you to view videos on
> their website.  The only possible justification would be to make sure
> you're a UK resident, but then all they'd have to do is restrict
> access to UK ISPs by IP address.   Otherwise there is no valid reason
> for it.
>
> Julian

I have not tried 4OD. This is not really off topic. When I tried, and
failed, to set up a Google account, they ask things like DoB, and your
mobile phone number. Why would they want all that? And what if some one
does not have a mobile phone? And yes, I do know people who do not have
one.

I give up,

Neil