Re: [LUG] query. Home "NAS" Help please.

On 15/03/2015 09:53, Simon Avery wrote:
> On 14 March 2015 at 21:14, Eion MacDonald <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I deal with people over all time zones and in 4 continents in many
>     'keyboards' (Chinese, Russian, Uzbek, USA Czech Republic, etc. Often
>

> Given the huge amount of publicity regarding government mandated
> surveillance of the public, and that what you describe above is probably
> going to be quite interesting to a number of governments; have you ever
> been aware of such interest in your work, or any covert activity
> regarding you or your communications?
>
> Also, do you take any special actions regarding the data you use?
> (Encryption when transmitting, storing, or using cloud-computer
> platforms)?  Or are there any special requirements (that you can talk
> about) required by your clients?
>
> (Taking an interesting detour away from the topic. You didn't reply to
> my initial response on this thread, so if you don't reply here either,
> I'll be forced to assume your full and detailed response has been
> intercepted and black vans* are converging on your home...
>
> * With recent budget cuts, black helicopters are no longer available.)

Dear folk, 20150315 1208
A long "Aside".
Answer yes.
I assume monitored by quite a few while 'in country'.
It was easier to get 'my tail' to share my taxis, once I had identified
them. (Their benefit was  expenses still paid to them for 'their' taxi
fares).

I also engage with relevant agencies regarding some activities such as
prevention of export of 'WMD' and misuse as machinery I deal with (but
no longer as 'designer' only as supplier)  can 'always' be diverted to
WMD use. So UK agencies thus have all relevant data on myself.

I work with nuclear / petrochemical / chemical sites.
Currently involved in supply of some nuclear power stations in Russian
Federation (3 done, two to go) and also certain other Cumbrian nuclear
matters.
Export control is a major part of this work.
I know my file number with interested 3-letter agencies in some foreign
countries. Easier to refer them to file when crossing border and they
have name 'pop-up' on their screens or lists.
Fingerprints etc on file in a few countries.
I used to use concurrently some passports, segregated by country groups.
e.g. Arab countries not entered by passport with Iranian or Israeli stamps.
PR China not entered with Rep.of China stamps passport
Comecon countries with only Comecon and West European stamps.
Indonesia not entered with any Chinese Script stamps, etc. etc.

Now 'semi-retired' (officially I retired due age some 10 years ago) I
sit in UK and do most of it by internet communications.

Physical part.
I have enjoyed the pleasures of a wet cell by old soviets,  (floor
flooded to 6 inches or so so you lose salts, as in a long bath time);
and also spent time in a old 'building' where a famous inmate was a poet
who became president.
 Link http://www.oyster.com/prague/hotels/unitas-hotel/.

I became a part of a 'study group' by Canadian University medical team
investigating "ridged band" on human penis as I have scar tissue on mine
(from 'cigarette extinguishing use by questioners') thus my response not
the same as a 'whole active band' person, and areas of non-nerve
response could be identified.
Link: http://research.cirp.org/index-e.html

Great hilarity (and missed flights) was caused by entering Japan on one
 passport and trying to leave on another (by forgetfulness). While they
much wondered why one passport was issued by UK consul in S. Korea

Being paid in goods and getting exchange to GBP was sometimes
exhilarating. ('Oranges unfit for human consumption' was a somewhat
large challenge and needed a lot of explanation to HMRC for chain
between origin of goods and funds in GBP in UK. Diamonds were easier.)

Life has been generous in providing many 'insights'.

"Also, do you take any special actions regarding the data you use?"
Answer not for public consumption, but assume some data is transmitted
via PGP and some is only transmitted by voice in person to person meetings.

Hill walking is a shared past time with some respondents as is visiting
Confucian temples.

I had for a few years some radio contact with UK persons via a young
signals officer in Libya in 1960s (I could talk to his radios,  from
where I was 'roaming' [not in Libya] and he re-transmitted to UK)  who
eventually became leader and was recently overthrown and shot. These
conversations were much enriched by speak in old Lallans. Not a usual
dialect for Libyans to have studied.

Recent court case in PR China (2014-2015)(dispute for medium amount of
oil shipment USD 27 million) between two native Chinese companies where
I acted as 'adviser' to one side successfully as I was known to owner of
one of the parties) used protonmail.ch transmissions. However that was
not to avoid detection but to delay open reading of information for a
short interval.
Encrypted communication to PRC is always a problem so easier to use very
short VoIP contacts.
Easier usually to encrypt (one time phrase given by VoIP) document,
save, enclose in PDF, and transmit as part of normal correspondence.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald