Re: [LUG] query. Home "NAS" Help please.

On 14/03/15 20:38, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> Dear Folk, 20150312.

Well, that's one of the weirdest generic greetings I've seen in an email
for a while, timestamped no less. I kind of like it.

> For about 2 years I have used inside my house for the 3 work computers
> (Windows 7  plus some dual boot/Virtual Machine Linux OS) a WD
> 'MyBookLive' as a machine to machine back up for documents etc.

WD MyBooks are one of the worst things ever invented by humans - I have
seen so many failed units that it's possible to anecdotally state that
they are the single worst choice for external disk enclosures I have yet
encountered. Clients who bring them to me now get to see the case ripped
off and the cheap SATA disk inside dropped into a £10 Chinese USB
enclosure instead.

> This  external  hard disc failed by falling over (literally) during
> cleaning. I keep images on separate external hard discs; as well as
> routine  monthly back ups of documents etc.

How much do you need to backup? Give us numbers.

>  I wondered as in this I am unskilled/unknowledgeable if I may ask.
> With what should I replace my broken hard disc?
> Objectives:
> a) to store a working copy of current documents on three machines for
> access from any of three machines.
> b) Perhaps to store also an image of each machine as an image backup
> (The old unit would not do this a sit only copies the existing documents)
> Note: no use is made of storing or distributing video or music.
> Seeking information appears to offer no answer to both 'a' and 'b'

A network based backup system, probably a virtualized Linux box writing
to local storage and/or a rotating set of external USB drives sounds
like what you want, as long as it's not too complex or expensive. Again,
without numbers it's difficult to evaluate how much you value your data
and how much you want/need to spend.

> Ideas , links to information, etc  would be appreciated

A little more data would help chief. Were you able to retrieve the info
from the failed WD by the way, or is it totalled?

Cheers