[LUG] query. Home "NAS" Help please.

Dear Folk, 20150312.
For about 2 years I have used inside my house for the 3 work computers
(Windows 7  plus some dual boot/Virtual Machine Linux OS) a WD
'MyBookLive' as a machine to machine back up for documents etc.
This  external  hard disc failed by falling over (literally) during
cleaning. I keep images on separate external hard discs; as well as
routine  monthly back ups of documents etc.
 I wondered as in this I am unskilled/unknowledgeable if I may ask.
With what should I replace my broken hard disc?
Objectives:
a) to store a working copy of current documents on three machines for
access from any of three machines.
b) Perhaps to store also an image of each machine as an image backup
(The old unit would not do this a sit only copies the existing documents)
Note: no use is made of storing or distributing video or music.
Seeking information appears to offer no answer to both 'a' and 'b'

Ideas , links to information, etc  would be appreciated
--
regards
Eion MacDonald