Re: [LUG] Unnecessary Questions

On 15/09/2014 13:47, Julian Hall wrote:
> Obviously /not/ the case here, but it's the only instance I can think of
> where the law would be an issue.

Countries have a legal minimum age at which an 'adult' can contract, e.g
now 18 in England, used to be 21, so anyone under 18 cannot in law
contract 'except for the necessities of life'. (I.e. debts by them are
unenforceable at law.)

Used to be quite an issue as I (being Scots) became an adult on the last
day of my fifteenth year so I was an adult in law from 16th Birthday
less one day with full powers to contract , marry, incur debts, get a
mortgage,  etc  while my Newcastle born cousins did not become adults
until 21! Lots of family discussion on this matter.

If money is involved, then the adult status to contract is necessary in law.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald