Re: [LUG] De-bottlenecking

>> have you tuned your kernel?

Well, pfSense is a fairly locked down BSD-based distro – so my answer is “no”, and a longer answer is “er, I’m not sure if I can”

Of course – that could also apply to the NAS & Myth boxes. The NAS is based on Debian and has its own installer – so it should be straight forward to find out what optimisations have been done there…. The Myth box is a complete self-install using Arch with no optimisations what so ever… so there’s an opportunity there – inc getting the NIC up to 1Gb.

So, thanks – I’d not considered kernel tuning.

Which, I guess is the point of my original post… how would I measure the “tuning”, to know that it’s made any (negative?) affect?

Cables are a mix of Cat5e and Cat6 in an accurate representation of my intestine combined with my MP3 player headphone leads... and yep, some run past and are probably wrapped around a domestic 50Hz white-noise signal injector :o)

So, how would I best measure the before & after ?

FYI – I’ve read that cat6 best practices are NOT to run cables in long straight lines – in fact, a random mess is more beneficial due to cross-talk being “easier” at higher frequencies (Cat6 cables are effectively a wave guide rather than an electrical conductor) – ok, we still don’t want 50Hz AC next to them, but you don’t want those neat, cable-tied layouts that we’ve perfected with Cat5e over the years…