Re: [LUG] Unnecessary Questions

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 14:48:11 +0100
Mark Evans <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14/09/14 13:21, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
> > But even more annoying is what I call unnecessary questions. One of
> > the worst, IMHO, is being asked for your DOB. I had a good example
> > of this yesterday. I was looking around for possibly setting up a
> > web email address to use when I don't want to use my real one (eg
> > registering as mentioned above, sometimes they ask for an email
> > address).  I was asked for first name and last name and date of
> > birth. What possible reason could there be for the last one? This
> > is just to send a receive emails. Why ever do they need my DOB?
>
> Where is the website concerned based?
> If they are within the EU (plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) then
> The ICO may be able to do something.

The ones I have noticed are in the US. Examples are GMX, gmail and
mail2world. I should add that this annoyance is not just about email
providers. As I said  registration for various types of sites
often asks for DOB, and I just cannot see the need. I get round it with
a  made up name etc, but that is not really the point is it?

If you leave any field blank you cannot register as the site comes back
complaining about missing data. I also get annoyed at sites that
require you to register just to look around it.

Neil