Re: [LUG] Unnecessary Questions

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:06:42PM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Yes, I understand that. However just setting up an email account is not
> age restricted, is it?

It is. Here are the age requirements for Google accounts (and thus for
Gmail):

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1350409?hl=en

This may sound silly, but when you sign up for an email account, you
enter into an agreement with the email provider.

> And anyway, you can put in any sensible date of birth, true or false.
> How can anyone tell?

Obviously no one can. IANAL, but I suspect it is done because without
it, the website is breaking the law by providing a service to an
underaged person, whereas now it is the child (and thus perhaps their
parents) who is breaking the law.

Martijn.