Re: [LUG] File system for heavy I/O

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:00:17PM +0000, bad apple wrote:
> * Sorry if I sound a little peeved, strictly no offence intended to
> anyone but I seriously can't believe that two of you so far regard
> custom kernels as some kind of pointless voodoo that's only done by
> neckbeards for fun on their home slackware boxes.

When I said 'playing around', I meant I'd try some different kernel
settings - making informed decisions about which settings are likely
going to solve my issues - and see if they improve the situation.

Apologies for the confusion. Next time, I'll use the appropriate
language and say I'll be going to spend a few hours in the realm of the
divine sysadmins, hoping that the skills of a mortal like me will
help me squeeze a few percentage of performance out of my inferior code.

> After all, it wasn't me who posted with critical performance problems on
> my Linux server... probably because I don't have any. I wonder why!

Yes, I know it's my code that's sub-optimal in many ways. If I had three
months of 40-hour weeks to spend on the code, I'd rewrite everything from
scratch and end up with something significantly better. Unfortunately, I
will have a hard time finding an hour or two to "play around". It's sad
and it's frustrating, but such is life.

Martijn.