[LUG] File system for heavy I/O

I have some servers that run software (scripts, daemons) that do a lot
of input/output (typically writing to and reading from small files). So
much that occasionally, the load becomes too heavy and a server
becomes unresponsive and has to be rebooted.

Now the person who wrote those scripts is neither a fantastic
programmer, nor a brilliant sysadmin (actually, it is me), so while a
lot of improvements have been made that reduce the amount of I/O, I'm
sure a lot more can be done. But that's not feasible at this moment.

What is feasible is to migrate to a new server, where I'm able to choose
the file system. Is there a Linux file system that is particularly good
at dealing with this kind of stuff?

Thanks!

Martijn.