Re: [LUG] File system for heavy I/O

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 08:54:15PM +0000, bad apple wrote:
> What are the specs on the current overwhelmed box so we know what we're
> aiming for? Particularly what is the current storage hw/fs? RAID?

That. And the file system is ext2 (don't ask).

> There
> are probably still tricks we can use to speed it up like kernel tuning
> for small file IO, etc.

This is rather helpful already. Having had a quick look around I found
that more fine-tuning is possible than I had realised at first.

A lot of is can even be done on a running system, which would be even
better. What I didn't mention is that I'm looking for a temporary
solution, using hardware that I already have. I'm going to move these
machines somewhere else at some point in the not too distant future
anyway, but it'd be nice if there'd be something like superfastiofs that
would be particularly good at I/O, so that I could reinstall the
software on a similar box to reduce the risk of yet another system
crash.

Things are never this simple, are they? :-)

Anyway, what you wrote did point me in the right direction already, as
did Simon's link, which showed that ext4 - which would have been my
default choice - may be as close to superfastiofs as it gets already.

Thanks, both!

Martijn.