Re: [LUG] Fed up of BT Broadband in Minions

Do your research on the satellite options. While it undoubtably does work and is a valid option for those with truly zero alternatives, most have quite low caps (already mentioned - and often barely above mobile caps), where Satellite really fails is latency. Minimum 600ms to reach the internet, double that if you're using true satellite (send and receive, rather than "lite" where you send via adsl and receive via satellite - double the points of failure!). Compare that to 50-100ms for typical adsl and you WILL notice the difference, especially when web browsing, ssh etc.  Not so much downloads or locally hosted email, perhaps.

Whilst technology has improved a lot with satellite - and the above latencies are for low-earth geostationary orbits rather than the first lot of higher orbits - they haven't yet managed to break the speed of light barrier so your data does have to bounce up and down quite a long way.

For me, choices would be cable, then fttc, then "normal" adsl, then 2x adsl then 3g, then satellite.

I'm also super rural and max 2.5mbit - I've spoken in here before. My choice was to get TWO adsl connections at 2.5mbit each and load balance. It has been a huge improvement on a single adsl, is ~50ms round trip to google and with no caps. (3g not an option given my usage pattern not compatible with low caps!). It's also marginally more resilient should one of the ISPs have an outage, although that's pretty rare these days.