Re: [LUG] Running Word under VirtualBox 4.3.10

On 26/03/14 16:02, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Phil and Bad
>
> Thanks for the replies. The wine and office option is a good one. I
> wish I could mandate use of odf/doc format. I work with an
> organisation who has deemed that it is not possible to open a document
> saved via open office or libre office. They are heavy handed and I was
> hoping to avoid some sort of battle with them. I might decide that the
> battle needs to take place!
>
> Thanks for all the help.

You've obviously got some pretty stupid people calling the shots where
you work... MS Office 2010 supports ODF 1.1 and 2013/365 supports ODF
1.2 out the box. For older versions of Office there was a special
compatibility add-on freely available.

If you go down the wine route there are a couple of things to bear in
mind: I believe that only the 32bit version of Office 2010 works via
wine still (no 64bit support) and depending on what distro you're using
you'll probably need to upgrade your wine version to 1.7 or whatever's
latest: Debian particularly ship with ridiculously obsolete versions and
even Ubuntu lag behind.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Regards