Re: [LUG] train line to re-open April 4th

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 08:42:44AM +0000, Tom wrote:
> While there are some relatively weak energy saving arguments for
> trains the use of modern computing power and minibuses can provide a
> door to door service lot more efficiently and cheaper for the
> majority of passengers.

I love trains. And not having a car, or a license to drive one, I do
use them when I need to travel to anywhere else in England, like I've
used them to travel throughout Europe in the past.

But I acknowledge they're mostly a thing of the past. Many countries
outside Europe don't run any passenger trains any more. It simply is a
lot cheaper, and more flexible, to run buses and coaches.

One big advantage that a train does have is that you can actually do
some work in them, especially with GPRS or, even better, Internet on
board. (I've never use the latter, so I don't know how reliable it is;
add "in theory" to the previous sentence if it isn't.)

I've heard people say that it would be a lot cheaper to make
long-distance trains (even) better places to work in rather than to
invest in high-speed railway lines.

As for the re-routing of the Exeter-Plymouth railway: apart from the
fact that it's kind of tricky in a country that isn't run like China,
what would then the solution be for the people living inbetween Exeter
and Plymouth?

Martijn.