Re: [LUG] GnuTLS bug

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 12:55:37AM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> Not sure it is simply a coincidence. The task is complex, they both
> implement in the same language, which lacks key features for exception
> handling, so the exceptions are all handled by goto (or something
> logically equivalent, return code with lots of extra "if" blocks and we
> all know how good humans are at that logic stuff).
>
> There are also reasons these bits of code are being checked at this time.

That's all true, and it that sense it isn't a coincidence. But they are
different bugs that can't be traced to the same source code.

> The gnutls code sample given doesn't appear to be a goto bug if the code
> diff is to be believed, it is simply a problem setting return codes.

Ironically, the GnuTLS bug was fixed by adding a few "goto fail" lines
(and removing some other stuff).

> Thus the "natural" errors people see are "not trusted"/"broken chain",
> "expired", "wrong name" (really how many of your TLS errors fall outside
> this, I've been doing a lot of this lately and I see some new warnings
> for the first time, but they mostly boil down to these cases). How many
> times have you seen a revoked certificate warning in the wild for
> example? (Okay maybe Martijn will have seen more than most given his job).

Actually, I haven't. Revoked certificates being used are pretty rare: if
your certificate has been revoked, the only sensible thing to is to stop
your servers from using it.

In general, when you see a certificate error in the wild, it's far more
likely that it's a harmless error somewhere (such as a certificate that
isn't valid for the particular subdomains or, as happened to my wife
once, an issue with the computer's internal clock which makes
certificates appear to be issued for a future date).

I do see a fair amount of certificate errors, usually because I am
accessing the web interface of a product I am testing on an internal
network. I am not sure if I would realise if I wasn't shown an error
when I should have, but I would think it only takes one person for this
to happen to who would notice and then try to dig a little deeper and
conclude that certificates weren't verified at all.

> I suspect we need simpler crypto standards.

+1

> Bigger than the Apple bug - I'm skeptical.

Comparing the impact of one bug with another is mostly comparing apples
with organges anyway.

For me, the Apple bug has no impact at all - apart from allowing me to
make fun of it on Twitter - as I don't run any Apple devices.

I would think the Apple bug to have a bigger impact, but then, I don't
think any critical embedded device runs iOS or OS X, while some no doubt
will depend on GnuTLS. In that sense the impact of the latter bug is
bigger.

Martijn.