Re: [LUG] train line to re-open April 4th

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 12:56:49 +0000, Martijn Grooten

>As for the re-routing of the Exeter-Plymouth railway: apart from the
>fact that it's kind of tricky in a country that isn't run like China,
>what would then the solution be for the people living inbetween Exeter
>and Plymouth?

There is an obvious geographical reason why Brunel ran the current line
up the coast and none of the alternative routes seem to be that practical.

Are they really going to tunnel under Telegraph Hill for a new inland
route? How expensive / time consuming would that be?

The Teign Valley is also prone to flooding and landslips (road
currently being repaired) and going up from Tavistock to Okehampton
seems like a really long way round between Plymouth and Exeter.

All it really needs is a decent breakwater from Dawlish up to Dawlish
Warren, a little bit out from the current seawall, which I guess is what
they will end up building.

Kevin