Re: [LUG] train line to re-open April 4th

On 07/03/14 19:15, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 13:54:46 -0500
Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Matt,

Can someone link me to a resource about these old Railways? I had no
idea there was a rail service over Dartmoor.

No idea about specific resources (google, perhaps?) but what little I
know of rail across Dartmoor was to do with tin mining, rather than
passenger transport(1).  As this is clearly one of Simon's interests,
he's far better qualified than I to answer definitively.

(1) Not that I'm ruling passenger traffic out.

When I was a young man, back in the dark ages, I was living in S.E. London and travelling everywhere on a push bike (with a fixed wheel , , , ) My preferred route back to Devon was via the Southern Region and I loved the section over the edge of the moor, beautiful scenery.

Now I live near Tavistock so would be delighted if the railway returned. There is talk of a project to extend the existing Plymouth to Gunnislake line in exchange for a new housing estate to the West of Tavistock.

Bring it on I say.

GT