Re: [LUG] train line to re-open April 4th

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 16:03:47 +0000
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Agree, and it would need high level political will. Purchase orders are
>unpopular amongst voters (I don't think I'd vote for a government that
>forced me to sell land to them, taking away something I have worked hard
>for, value highly and may have made quite pretty).

Where I live, much of the disused railway runs through fields.  It
provides a handy highway for the farmer's tractors, avoiding turning the
field into a mire.  Very little 'pretty' involved.  That aside, I get
your point.

>Nothing is technically impossible, it's just whether the political will
>is strong enough and the pockets deep.

I find it funny (as in peculiar) that successive governments have told
us "there simply isn't the money for XXXX" whatever XXXX may be, yet as
soon as there's an upset in Afghanistan, the Falklands or wherever,
bags of dosh is available to wage what amounts to a war.  So, deep
pockets probably isn't the issue, it's the will.  As you say, there's a
lot of fear of losing votes etc.

--
 Regards  _
Junk floats on polluted water