Re: [LUG] OT: Curious spam similar to Yahoo! stuff

On 14/02/14 08:46, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:20:59PM +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
One possibility occurs to me.  Note the IP address they send email
from.  Each time a new one pops up send an email to their backup
account asking them to confirm it was them - include the message as
I doubt most users would know an IP address from a postcode.  If
they confirm, add the IP address to accepted ones for that account.
Facebook already do a similar thing  - assuming the user enables it
- and email you when a new device is used to access your account, so
it's obviously possible.
Yes, but Facebook does require you to opt-in to the system. Without
users knowing it's going to happen, it's going to be a mess. Many people
won't have access to their backup account anymore, or if they do, they
won't have access to it all the time. And that's a big pain if you're on
the road and need to send an important email.

And I think it's unlikely that more than a small portion of Yahoo's
users are going to opt-in to two-factor authentication. (Which, IIRC,
Yahoo offers these days.)

Martijn.
Fair points. The only thing I would say is that Facebook's check is /post/ activity, so if you were on the road your email would still be sent, you'd just be asked after to confirm it was you that sent it.

Julian