Re: [LUG] User Troubleshooting

You've made  a good point about assumption of knowledge, Gordon.

Some people might argue that the skills required of a job must include general compting knowlege, but is that ever tested? "Oh I can use word, but if someone moves the menu one pixel to the left I won't know what to do..."

Anyone that was misleading in interview or application would be fairly quickly found out though, and could be dismissed within their first two years' employment if the employer took an unsympathetic view.

Computer skills are essential for any office job, and I generally ask a few quick questions to gauge the depth of knowledge. Mostly, that's "Yes, I know office, and, er, Word? Excel and, er, er" level, with some occasional bespoke systems trained and used in a previous job. For our world, that's generally okay.

General computing ought to be taught in schools - and this includes use of popular word processing, etc. but the teaching should be /general/ and not one application or OS specific.

Agree, but then you have to assume the teachers are knowledgeable, competent and hard working. It's too easy for them just to slip into the Microsoft sponsored route, and to a degree, understandable. That's what they'll meet in life most often.

However, through no fault of their own, some people just can't get it though and I've seen people really struggle to go from e.g. MS Word to LO Writer even though the concepts are the same.

Agree. And, without sarcasm or denigrating them in ANY way, those people will always be able to find employment in roles that don't require them to use something they can't. Whether that's software or heavy machinery. Chances are they've already gravitated to a world they're more comfortable in anyway.