Re: [LUG] Have I been drinking? Government to drop MS Office...

On 29/01/14 14:33, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> The costs of licencing may have been met centrally in those years?
>
> No longer.
>
>>>From Dr Adrian Midgley's hand

I believe that was largely the case back then and we were also
anticipating considerable push-back from our own IT heads and the
procurement wing of finance particularly. Fortunately, as a leading
department (Liver ITU) in a 'flagship' hospital my direct boss
(Professor and Senior Clinician) had a highly unusual and
disproportionate amount of clout. Not that it helped us win that fight
anyway, in the end.

Part of the reason I finally left the NHS and swore never to go back to
the public sector was the never-ending internecine departmental warfare,
budget sniping and glacial, incompetent senior management. That was all
over 5 years ago now and mercifully I no longer have to worry about
those things. It's a shame because moronic management aside, working
with the staff and patients was really fulfilling.

I'm guessing you've spent the majority of your career within the same
system - you must have a stronger tolerance for frustration than me :]

Regards