Re: [LUG] User Troubleshooting

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Neil Winchurst wrote:

On 29/01/14 10:07, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Funny? To some, yes, but actually... Who's fault is it that the customer
didn't understand (or interpret) the request correctly?

It's far to easy for us geeks to scoff at things like this, but
something happened to me about 34 years ago that made me realise not
everyone was as adaptable or willing to adapt to computers.

Agreed, we should not scoff but ...

we are talking here about people at work who are expected to use a computer as part of their job. Shouldn't they get at least some basic training in using a computer, or tested to make sure that they are sufficiently competent?

Yes they should - and therein lies the problem. People (employers) are often not willing to spend money in training (which is an investment from my point of view) and (some) people are not willing to learn. (or unable to)

Some people might argue that the skills required of a job must include general compting knowlege, but is that ever tested? "Oh I can use word, but if someone moves the menu one pixel to the left I won't know what to do..."

General computing ought to be taught in schools - and this includes use of popular word processing, etc. but the teaching should be /general/ and not one application or OS specific.

However, through no fault of their own, some people just can't get it though and I've seen people really struggle to go from e.g. MS Word to LO Writer even though the concepts are the same.

Gordon