Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Richard Brown wrote:

Dear All

On Monday, December 30, 2013, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Richard Brown wrote:

 Also is it still best to go down the FreeNAS route?

No.

Of-course, if you ask in a FreeBSD mailing list and not a Linux mailing
list you might get a different answer.

FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD and not Linux, but you know that already.

Gordon

Thanks to all for the replies.

HP ProLiant G7 N54L 2.2GHz MicroServer
I have bought the above machine and is fitted with 2gb of memory. The USB
stick I am using is a verbatim and is 8gb in size. Everytime I try to use
it using unetbootin the programme says there isn't a flash drive in the
computer. Does this mean I haven't got a flash drive please?

I think hearing all the comments it seems to me that I might be better off
with a Debian install and then get it to do what I want it to do. I know
Linux and I might be better off with something I know.

My understanding of a bootable USB flash drive was that you could use this
to mount the OS and run it from flash USB. However, I am happy to install
to the 250gb hard drive and boot of this. I have a 1tb disk arriving
tomorrow.

I like the look of FreeNAS but I can do the same with Debian and retain the
control. However, one thing that drew me was the zfs. However, I am equally
happy forgetting raid and attaching a nas and backing up to that.

Thanks once again for all the help. I do love Gordon's "no" reply. Would
you care to add more details please?

No.

Gordon