Re: [LUG] Router question

On 21/10/13 17:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On ADSL Filters:

You only need filters for phones.

The connection into the modem must be unfiltered. (A typical Y filter
with a socket for a phone and a socket for the ADSL modem is designed
that way)

I have always had a filter on the socket where I use my router. There is a phone attached too, just a simple phone, no wifi. Since the two sockets are part of the one filter I suppose that is OK.

You can run the whole house on one filter if it's wired as part of the
master socket.

The phone attached to the master socket also has a filter.

An un-filtered phone should not affect the ADSL signal, but it will
affect the audio quality on the phone (depending on how sensitive your
ears are!)

However if the incoming speed is 14178Kbps (ie. 14Mbps) when your
downloads/youtube/speedtest is slow, then it's not the physical cabling,
and probably still not the modem/router, so you need to look elsewhere.

It could be congestion in the exchange/BT network, or congestion in the
ISPs own network after the BT hand-off.

Gordon

Thanks, more research. I have seen a BT van parked by out nearest street cabinet recently so perhaps they have been working on it.

Neil