Re: [LUG] Borked system rescue plan

I completely agree with everyone's comments on the importance of good
backups.  Personally I use duplicity from cron to a usb disk and follow
JWZ's instructions for how to look after disks [1].  There's also an
easy front end called DejaDup [2].  I only back up /root, /etc and
/home, and use any horrible system trashing as an opportunity to update
to the latest version of Fedora.

It might also be worth looking into filesystem snapshots (btrfs or LVM)
before doing anything dodgy.  I recall reading that Fedora planned to do
this before yum transactions, if you have btrfs filesystems, so you can
revert to an earlier snapshot if things go pear-shaped.  Not sure how
far they got, but it sounds closest to the system restore points in
Windows..

Cheers,

Mike.

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/backups.html