Re: [LUG] Router question

On 21/10/13 16:36, Simon Waters wrote:

I have checked in the router stats, download speed 14178 kbps, attenuation 21.0 db
and line margin 9.0 db. Is that what you mean?

Sounds like the number Gordon had in mind.

Mine calls it "Downstream rate"

Either ways if that is stable when the problem occurs, it is unlikely to be
router/line quality, more likely to be simple congestion (your end, your line, or at
the ISP end).

BT as far as I can tell largely over provision most of this stuff, so whilst they
don't guarantee that cheap ADSL services won't be congested in their equipment, I've
never seen the issue rest with BTs provisioning. BT line quality yes, BT plugging
the wrong wire into the wrong box, but not actually the bottleneck because too many
people are using it being in BT kit.

That said a good ISP will check for you if you report a problem, as they can see
some changes to the line rate from the BT kit.

My ISP, fast.co.uk, is always very helpful and will check the line for me whenever I ask. I will try a new filter first and see how it goes. Do filters go wrong too? It had never occurred to me.

Neil