Re: [LUG] Router question

On 21/10/13 15:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:

IME routers are the lest likely thing to go wrong for the scenario you
describe.

However, you need to work out if it's the line sync speed thats dropping
or just the fact that you're using a crap ISP with an overloaded network
that's causing the slow-down.

So login to the modem and check the actual line sync speed. Forget
speedtest.net, downloading youtube, the first thing you need to do is
work out the line sync speed.

I have checked in the router stats, download speed 14178 kbps, attenuation 21.0 db and line margin 9.0 db. Is that what you mean?

If it is the line sync, then you need to look at your own wiring before
going further. This is the wiring between the modem and the incoming BT
line. Make sure the router is connected to the BT master socket (means
removing the faceplate) You can do this without a microfilter (but it
means no phones for the duration) which would eliminate the microfilter.

I have never used the master socket for my router. Reason, it is just inside the from door in the entrance hall so could never use the desktop computer there. I use an extension socket upstairs, with a filter. Up until recently this has worked just fine for years. (We moved into the house as a new build 11 years ago.)

Then if you do see sync speed drop you know it's either the modem
(unlikely, but..) or some external fault - in which case you're stuffed
anyway, unless your ISP is good at getting BT to start some REIN
investigations. (Or you can observe something yourself - e.g. a combine
harvester in the next field when the interference happens, or some kiddy
outside waving a lighsaber...)

I live in a small cul-de-sac so do not get much in the way of large machinery around.

But if the sync speed stays high and you get slow throughput its
probably your ISP or some other congestion in the BT network (less likely)

Do check your exchange though to make sure there isn't any capacity
problems. (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php and others)

Yes, could be something at the exchange, though I am less than a mile away in a straight line. I will check via samknows.

It could also be someone else using your connection via Wi-Fi or wired,
but I'm presuming you're sensible enough to have checked that already.
'

My desktop uses a cable link to the router. I do have wifi set up for the laptop but I use WPA2 security.

Thanks

Neil