Re: [LUG] Router question

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Neil wrote:

On 21/10/13 16:36, Simon Waters wrote:

I have checked in the router stats, download speed 14178 kbps, attenuation 21.0 db and line margin 9.0 db. Is that what you mean?

Sounds like the number Gordon had in mind.

Mine calls it "Downstream rate"

Either ways if that is stable when the problem occurs, it is unlikely to be router/line quality, more likely to be simple congestion (your end, your line, or at the ISP end).

BT as far as I can tell largely over provision most of this stuff, so whilst they don't guarantee that cheap ADSL services won't be congested in their equipment, I've never seen the issue rest with BTs provisioning. BT line quality yes, BT plugging the wrong wire into the wrong box, but not actually the bottleneck because too many people are using it being in BT kit.

That said a good ISP will check for you if you report a problem, as they can see some changes to the line rate from the BT kit.

My ISP, fast.co.uk, is always very helpful and will check the line for me whenever I ask. I will try a new filter first and see how it goes. Do filters go wrong too? It had never occurred to me.

On ADSL Filters:

You only need filters for phones.

The connection into the modem must be unfiltered. (A typical Y filter with a socket for a phone and a socket for the ADSL modem is designed that way)

You can run the whole house on one filter if it's wired as part of the master socket.

An un-filtered phone should not affect the ADSL signal, but it will affect the audio quality on the phone (depending on how sensitive your ears are!)

However if the incoming speed is 14178Kbps (ie. 14Mbps) when your downloads/youtube/speedtest is slow, then it's not the physical cabling, and probably still not the modem/router, so you need to look elsewhere.

It could be congestion in the exchange/BT network, or congestion in the ISPs own network after the BT hand-off.

Gordon