Re: [LUG] Rooting the Hudl

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:58:17 +0100, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25/09/13 18:53, lug@xxxxxx wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:15:01 +0100, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> ...Android, I hope is a dead branch on the development tree.
>> I read somewhere recently that users are now activating over 1.5
million
>> Android devices a day with Google and there are about a billion
>> Android devices total in the wild. So like it or not we are stuck with
>> it ;)
>>
>> Kevin
>>
> There may be a lot of it about but I can see it being sidelined if
> people can run full blown linux as well. Theres nothing android can do
> that linux cant and linux can do a lot more.
> Tom te tom te tom

I'm not entirely convinced that it's going to happen yet, at least not for
a few years.  The thing with Android, like IOS and even Windows Phone is
that it's pretty easy to pick up and use and for most people that's just
what they want.  Sure Linux is getting much easier but it's not fool proof.

As for running Linux on a tablet, what is the state of things like X or
Wayland?  It seems that a lot of the tablets I've looked at have 3 or 4
different GPUs, are drivers available for all of these?

Rob