Re: [LUG] Rooting the Hudl

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:02:05 +0100, George Parker
<georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>...As far as I can see the non Google versions of Linux for
>Tablets/smart phones have a way to go yet to be a replacement for
>Android.

+1 on that.

I am not sure why anyone would even expect a desktop OS to work
really well on touch devices. You've only got to look at Windows 8 to
see what a mess you get when you follow that path. In my view it's
better to have desktop Linux and Android both optimised for their
different target devices rather than trying to make a one size fits all
OS.

Android haters tend to focus on all the Google apps and the privacy
issues but Play Store apart you can do without them. I have a rooted
Nexus 7 and you can use Titanium Backup to "freeze" the built-in Google
apps so they can't be run and don't even appear in the app list even
without using a custom rom.

Kevin