Re: [LUG] OT : Android phone crashing

 On 04/08/2013 13:09, tom wrote:
On 04/08/13 11:13, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 04/08/2013 10:28, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Aug 4, 2013 10:14 AM, "Martijn Grooten" <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Aug 2013, bad apple wrote:
>>>
>>> So before I go and look into reflashing it, I'll go and complain to
>>> Vodafone. They should be obliged to fix it, or give me a new phone.
>>

>> Haha, good luck with that (read the small print).
>

> I don't care about the small print, I care about the law, which says that if you purchase something that stops functioning properly earlier than you have reason to expect, it's up to the seller to fix it, or provide you with a new item.
>
> Flashing the device may void this implicit warranty and seeing as I'm not yet sure it's not some kind of hardware issue, I'm going to try and get it fixed first. I can always flash it should that fail.
>
> Martijn.

I love it when shops then start saying "you'll have to take it up with the manufacturers under their warranty" - no love, I'll take it up with you under the Sale of Goods Act, thank you.

Grant

That is the correct legal recourse, however mobile phone shops have a reputation for stubbornly refusing to accept it. I was in one a couple of years ago and a lady came in with her phone and wanted it replaced as she was paying an insurance premium /to them/. They told her bluntly to send it back to the manufacturer. Predictably she pointed out she was paying /them/ her insurance premium not the manufacturer. They refused to budge so she left having told them forcibly she was canceling her insurance payments to them. However she did /not/ get what you Grant correctly say she was legally entitled to.

You and Martijn are legally in the right, but given their standard practice of refusing to cooperate I don't like Martijn's chances of success.

Julian

Try threatening them with the small claims court - if that fails go to the small claims court and your local paper etc etc
Tom te tom te tom

If it was me I would Tom.. I think they react quite differently if you quote the legislation at them rather than just complain 'but I'm paying you'. The latter they just don't seem to care about.

Julian