[LUG] Attribution biases was Re: OT surveillance

On 28/06/13 17:33, bad apple wrote:

> I think your reasoning is a bit torturous equating additional wasted
> time with actual fatalities (would you accuse the post office of
> murdering OAPs because they have to queue up to get the pension?)

No, murder implies intent, and we as people overly attribute intent, and
are also very sensitive to intent.

Thus we treat murder far worse than manslaughter, when the person who is
dead might have held a more balanced view ("I'm dead either way").

I observed similar issues on the M25, when there is an accident, the
police can be slow to clear the motorway (especially after the knock
them off their motorbike murder), when consideration of the loss of time
would suggest the right approach is to clear the motorway as quickly as
possible and get the traffic moving even if someone literally gets away
with murder.

Slow boot times, and general sluggishness of widely used software
carries a similar cost.