Re: [LUG] Debian 7 and wifi

On 16/06/13 16:52, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> As a final note on this episode, I was using the laptop today and it
> has finally died on me. It was given to me some years ago and it was
> quite old then. So I guess I am now in the market for a replacement,
> without any OS installed.
>
> Oh well, thanks for everyone who replied. Still have the desktop of
> course.
>
> Neil

Bad luck Neil. When you say "dead", how dead do you mean? Are we talking
dead as in weird noises from inside the casing and won't boot reliably,
or dead as in no lights, no sounds and no sign of anything happening at all?

It certainly does happen though. I've got a stack of laptops literally 3
foot high in the cupboard next to me, all of which are in various stages
of death or dying themselves. If you feel like it it may well be worth
quickly stripping it down and blowing all the crap out of the vents and
cooling grills - in laptops they get caked over the years, often leading
to thermal overload and eventual permanent damage.

But as you said it was an old model, and just a spare at that, it may
well be too much effort. You can start your own stack of dead laptops
now I guess...

Cheers