Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:05:06 +0800, Kai Hendry
<hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 13 June 2013 16:33,  <lug@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well I think one of the problems with running an open network even
>> in a remote area is that in the case that one of your guests did
>> something bad it would be hard for them to be held accountable as
>> they could just argue that the network was open and anyone could
>> have done it.
>
>I don't quite understand your logic.
>
>Open network = OK to abuse? Not accountable?
>Passworded network = Not ok to abuse?
>
>No, an open network should not be abused either and you can get a MAC
>address just as easily.

It isn't what people should do it's what they can and will do that
counts. Every teen in the country can connect to an open network, you
add a password and that number drops down to just a few that have the
skills and could be bothered.

If something was to happen at your cottage even if you had stored the
mac concerned do you really think the police will go to your guest's
house in another part of the country and examine all their hardware to
get the mac addresses? I don't think so, not unless something pretty
serious was going on.

>> That isn't the case for me, living on the business premises. I am
>> also in a busy area so anyone sitting at the nearby traffic lights
>> with their phone set to automatically connect to open networks would
>> probably connect to my Wi-Fi if it wasn't password protected which
>> wouldn't be cool at all.
>
>Why wouldn't it be cool for a passer by to get Internet access
>briefly? Perhaps to navigate somewhere?
>
>He's not abusive is he?

Well the connection isn't free, I pay for it. Bandwidth is finite and
should be available for the person who pays for it to use. I bet you
password protect your home network?

Kevin