Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:49:25 +0800, Kai Hendry
<hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 12 June 2013 17:25,  <lug@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a B&B and plenty of people ask if we have free Wi-Fi but
>> no-one complains about having to enter a password because they are
>> used to doing it at home (unless they are total idiots). It really
>> isn't a big deal.
>> In a 50 room business you will get people hogging the bandwidth and
>> doing things they shouldn't be doing most weeks so you need to manage
>> connection speed and at least make people think you can check-up on
>> them even if the reality is somewhat different.
>
>I would argue in either case a password is unnecessary. You just need
>to manage the connection.
>
>However the solutions for managing a connection, i.e. kicking abusive
>users MAC address off the network aren't great. At least the ones I've
>seen.

Well I think one of the problems with running an open network even in a
remote area is that in the case that one of your guests did something
bad it would be hard for them to be held accountable as they could just
argue that the network was open and anyone could have done it.

The advantage you have with a holiday cottage is that I assume that
neither you nor your parents are resident there so if anything was to
happen you are not likely to be prosecuted for it.

That isn't the case for me, living on the business premises. I am also
in a busy area so anyone sitting at the nearby traffic lights with their
phone set to automatically connect to open networks would probably
connect to my Wi-Fi if it wasn't password protected which wouldn't be
cool at all.

Kevin