Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On 12 June 2013 12:37, Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. Just to fill in some more details. The hotel has
> 50+ rooms and wants a form that allows the user to enter the wifi password
> and their email address. The email address to capture usage. This is both
> because of the law and also because of unauthorised access. Quite how
> they're going to monitor it I don't know.

Since when is getting a user to enter his email address the law?

I'm told by http://revk.www.me.uk/ is that as soon as offer Internet
access with a contract http://www.flickr.com/photos/hendry/8658225840/
you are effectively becoming an ISP with all the trimmings. Which is
bonkers.

If you just have an open access point on your premises, IIUC you're
not considered an ISP.

I personally think it's far too inconvenient for holidaymakers to
requests codes to gain Internet access. Therefore my AP on my parent's
holiday cottage is left simply open. We don't charge for electricity
either. ;)

If a patron is abusing the network, instead I guess the router should
print at the DHCP table perhaps the abusive % that user's MAC of his
device is doing and then one just kills it. I don't have such a
facility of my network, though I wish I did!