Re: [LUG] Help!

On 16/05/13 18:53, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Kevin Lucas wrote:
>> I am always surprised at where you are taken when just googling.
> Yes - there's lots of stuff going on behind the scenes. It is
> certainly interesting to see.
>
> To check whether something is amiss, I think this is only useful if
> you have the knowledge and skills to understand what you're seeing.
> Otherwise, I worry you'll easily conclude that there's an infection,
> or that there are hackers, or some other bad thing is happening.
>
> Martijn.

Yeah, I remember one particular instance at a client's place where a
bunch of the sales drone's laptops were suddenly displaying weird
connectivity problems.

One of the junior admins there had been playing with things he didn't
understand, and somehow, from a complete misreading of something he
googled, he'd been setting custom firewall rules to prevent the 'issue'
of all this unsolicited traffic coming in and out on port 53...

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Right, now I'm off to set all my computers IPs to 127.0.0.1, I just read
that it makes administration either.

Cheers