Re: [LUG] Help!

On 05/15/13 17:09, Viv Griffin wrote:
> Thanks to all, and especially Gordon. I hope I am just being paranoid.
> I have found wps in the router config (called qss - just to confuse
> me) and switched it off. I like the idea of setting up better tools,
> as Gordon suggests. But, I need to be able to set them up, use them
> and interpret the results correctly.
>
> I think what I would really like is to be able to set up my internet
> access in such a secure way that I don't have to about such things as
> hacking. So, I have some supplementary questions:
>
> Would a better router help? From what some of you said, mine doesn't
> sound very good, If so, any suggestions?
How much do you want to spend ? I spent around £110 on my solution, and
I'm very happy with it (despite the other half complaining from time to
time)

> Would moving away from wifi completely to a hard wired or a powerline
> adapter solution be more secure?
How much do you trust powerline ? Personally, I don't at all.

> Even with changes to the setup, would a separate PC (as Gordon
> suggested) monitoring network traffic still be necessary if I can stop
> feeling paranoid?
I have a routeboard unit that does all flavours of monitoring. I
installed ntop and setup netflow reports

> By the way, tomorrow, I am going to switch wifi back on but, not use
> the internet all all, all day. It will be easier to see then, if there
> is any unauthorised activity or if I am really just being paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
> Thanks for all of your help.

A quick trip to GRC.com and performing a shieldsup test may settle your
paranoia (a little) about access from the outside.

One question I have thought about, are you on a static or dynamic IP ?

If dynamic, the reports from opendns can't be totally trusted, if static
they can be trusted... a little more.