Re: [LUG] Help!

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 12:49 +0100, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM, bad apple wrote:
> > We still don't have enough information
>
> I'm still not convinced there is a problem in the first place. So I
> definitely wouldn't recommend replacing anything until you are sure
> there is a problem - and that the problem can't be fixed by
> configuration settings.
>
> As for not using the Internet - I don't think it's necessary, but if
> you decide to do so (or if you're not home for some time) and you do
> find things in the openDNS logs, don't panic right away. There is
> still a device that's connected to the internet: your router. I'd be
> surprised if it didn't make the occasional DNS request. The mere fact
> that requests are being made doesn't mean that something bad, or even
> something unusual, is going on.
>
> Martijn.

A simple tool for you to see what happens when you / someone asks for an
outside address from a browser or mail client is,
Net Activity Viewer 0.6
should be in your Repos. installed by add software app.
put the Net viewer side by side a web browser and then do some browsing
see if you get what you expected.
I am always surprised at where you are taken when just googling.

NB why isn't "googling" a real word yet? not in my dict anyway.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user