Re: [LUG] Beaglebone Black

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Richard Brown wrote:

In terms of my off-grid project these computers start to look excellent. Still a question on monitors. I can use laptops quite comfortably with my off-grid system, so why can't I use a laptop monitor?

Your laptop monitor probably has a high voltage backlight (although it may also have LED, you never know) but it also has an LVDS interface. This is not VGA, not HDMI - it's a pure digital interface going between the graphics unit on the laptop and a processor on the display.

Now the Pi has such a display port, but is it compatible? Not yet because the driver hasn't been written for it yet...

However there are other ways - a cheap TV is one way, and there are some items on ebay that will take vga/dvi and allow you to connect up a laptop display.

But people have done it - see this for example: http://www.chalk-elec.com/?p=1576

Gordon