Re: [LUG] IRC Channel

On 04/23/13 11:56, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Neil,
>
> You make a big thing about Matt being in the US. Matt was born and
> brought up in Devon. (Wasn't he at your wedding?)
Indeed he was... did I ever say otherwise...?

Am I lying by stating that he lives in the US ?

> Your continuing edits of the IRC page on the dcglug website are
> becoming tedious. Your latest one:
>
>   IRC channels
>   Internet Relay Chat is a way to chat with other DCGLUG members quickly
>   and easily through your web browser or a dedicated IRC client.
>   #DCLUG - Founded by Neil Stone, who is based in Cornwall and whose
> posts
>   can be found on the very first page of the LUG archives.
>   #DCGLUG - Founded by Matt Lee, who is based in the US.
>
> is just petty.
>
> As for your little "banner advert" recently - that was just taking the
> piss. You have no right to advertise your services blatantly like
> that. And your current QR code avatar? That has to go to as it's
> nothing more than the same thing.
>
> Please remove the QR code advert now.

NO

> So yes, you had had you nice little IRC channel running on behalf on
> the group, and we thanked you for it, but when it became unreliable
> and we, the group decided to move elsewhere, rather than just accept
> it (or even breathe a sigh of relief that you now no-longer have to
> provide the service!) you threw your toys out of your pram and are now
> causing a lot of hassle for everyone else.

First of all, no one thanked me for it... all I ever got was "it's
broken", "fix it" and similar kinds of comments...
> So grow up for goodness sake. Either stay with us, or go somewhere
> else. Stop pretending that DCLUG is the "one" channel - it's not, it's
> just one other channel on Freenode. The majority of us are using
> #DCGLUG as that's what the group is called.
>
> Right now: 16 people in #DCGLUG, 8 in #DCLUG. Including your stupid
> Tux bot which was the main reason I left your server in the first
> place - you demonstrated just what an idiot you were by handing Jon
> Davey the "bomb". Gee, thanks. After coaching to get onto IRC, he
> comes online for the first time ever to get help with the Raspberry
> Pi, and the first thing you do is hand him a kick-bomb and not knowing
> what happened he doesn't re-join.
Some people have no sense of humour...
> Hope you're happy with that.
With some people having no sense of humour ? not particularly...
> At least there are some of us here willing to genuinely help - FWIW: I
> asked Jon to post his SD card to me and then I did the install, setup,
> etc. and posted it back to him. What did you do? You kicked him out of
> your IRC channel. Fat lot of use you are.
"I know, I'll join an IRC channel, discover who is in charge and then
provoke them..."

What was expected really ?

> Same for Grants email earlier:
>
>> On 04/23/13 09:35, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
>>> Is there any way to show the number of users in a channel from the
>>> website?
>
> To which you replied:
>
>> Yes...
>
> fat lot of help that was. Why did you even bother to reply?
It was an accurate reply was it not ?

Had the question been "Is there a way to show the number of users in a
given channel, and if so how ?" that would have had a reply along the
lines of "Yes, and we can achieve this by installing additional modules
in to Drupal and configuring it as required"

> So I'm asking you now: Join in, help, support, spread. Be part of it
> or stay out of it. Lurk, hide, whatever, but if you want to be an
> active part of it (editing the website, etc.) then do it
> constructively or stay away.
I think you will find that I have been an active part of the group for a
hell of a long time... see references to the first page of the list
archives.
> If you do not want to be constructive then I feel that you have no
> right editing the website at all.
>
> So join us. Be part of it. Bring your expertise into the group. Share,
> help, educate because that's what we're for.

Indeed, that is what WE are here for...

I have never said otherwise.